John Depp’s libel against the Sun newspaper will go on, a London Royal Court of Justice ruled on Thursday. John had sued the tabloid for an article referencing him as a “wife-beater.” The newspaper had reported that John Depp was habitually violent towards his ex-wife Amber Heard.
The Sun’s Newspaper lawyer had applied for the case to be terminated because Depp failed to disclose text messages he exchanged with an assistant showing that he tried to buy “MDMA and other narcotics” while he was in Australia with Heard in 2015.
The newspaper’s lawyer further stated that withholding the texts was a breach of a previous court order requiring Depp to provide all documents from separate libel proceedings against Heard in the United States. He said the lapse endangered the defendants’ ability to get a fair trial.
Judge Andrew Nicole, however, ruled that although Depp was in breach of disclosure order in his view, it would not be to strike out the claim.
In addition, the judge overruled Depp’s attempt to force his ex-wife to disclose evidence with her previous lovers’ actor James Franco and Elon Musk.
“The central issue for the defence of truth is whether Mr. Depp assaulted Ms. Heard. Even if she had been unfaithful to him, that would be irrelevant on that central issue. I am not, therefore, persuaded that these categories of documents are necessary for the appropriate disposal of the litigation, “he said.
The two are expected to give evidence in person at the London court on Tuesday next week. Depp’s former partners Vanessa Paradis and Winona Ryder are expected to provide proof.