Moussa Faki, Chairman African Union Commission, Condemns Killings of Over 50 Amhara People in Ethiopia

Mr Moussa Faki, the Chairman of the African Union Commission; photo courtesy; AU Website

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – The Chairman of the African Union Commission, Mr Moussa Faki has strongly condemned the killings of innocent civilians following inter-communal violence in Ethiopia.

In his condolence message to the families of the victims, Mr Moussa called upon national authorities to ensure that the perpetrators of the heinous acts are held accountable.

Also, Mr Moussa noted the rise in inter-communal violence, urging all the stakeholders to refrain from inflammatory rhetoric and work towards de-escalating tensions in the country.

He further encouraged political actors to engage in an inclusive national dialogue and build a national consensus around key issues and stresses that failure to do so can have grave impacts not only in the country but the region as a whole.

Mr Moussa reaffirmed the African Union’s support to the reforms initiated by the Ethiopian government and said that the African Union stands ready to assist Ethiopia in its efforts to promote peace and stability in the country.

Mr Moussa’s statement comes after Amnesty International said in a statement on Monday that at least 54 people from the Amhara ethnic group were killed in an attack late on Sunday by suspected members of the Oromo Liberation Army -OLA armed group.

The attack on Gawa Qanqa village in Guliso District of West Wellega took place a day after the government troops withdrew from the region unexpectedly.

According to witnesses, dozens of men, women and children were killed, property looted, and what the militants could not carry away, they set on fire.

The Amnesty International Regional Director for East and Southern Africa, Deprose Muchena, condemned the senseless killings that have continued to rock the country.

“This senseless attack is the latest in a series of killings in the country in which members of ethnic minorities have been deliberately targeted, he said.”

He added, “The fact that this horrendous incident occurred shortly after government troops abruptly withdrew from the area in unexplained circumstances raises questions that must be answered.”