Benin’s political activist risks extradition to Nigeria

Sunday Igboho opposes his forceful extradition to Nigeria. [Image: courtesy]
Benin—A extradition war has kicked off in Benin following apprehension done on Monday of an embattled crusader for Yoruba self-determination, Sunday Adeyemo famously known as Sunday Igboho. Yesterday thousands of his supporters staged demonstrations, barricading Ibadan streets, the Oyo state capital, protesting his arrest and detention without trial by the Benin government.

Accompanied by sympathizers, his political allies vowed to leave anything to chance as long as Igboho is still in detention. Demanding the Benin government to let go Igboho immediately before a step higher is taken.

Also, warning about a scheme to exile him to Nigeria, saying Igboho did not commit any crime to warrant his arrest and extradition. According to his political close allies, if Igboho had transgressed as they claim then there are better courts and cells in Benin where he should have been taken for trial.

With twigs and placards painted solidarity messages for Igboho and castigation of President Muhammadu Buhari’s government for what they call selective justice and trespassing to affairs of another independent state.

The protestors have condemned Buhari for favoring his ethnic tribe in Nigeria and called upon the international community and local rulers in Yoruba to ensure that Igboho is not maimed and no any form of tortures should be subjected to him.

In line with Yomi Aliyu (SAN), an advocate to Igboho narrated how the activist was arrested and flown to Nigeria in helicopter on Sunday.

“As of today (Wednesday) Sunday Igboho is still in police station in Cotonou. While they were fighting with Sunday his brother was bundled back to a plane heading to Germany: he is the one in Germany now not Sunday.

“Sunday was brought down with the wife and the brother and a fracas ensued because he was to be flown to Nigeria by a standby helicopter. But the wife and the brother put up a fight and started shouting at the airport, which attracted some other Yoruba indigenes and they came to their rescue.”