Uganda: Dead passenger in Mpigi bus explosion was terrorist, says Museveni

Swift Safaris Bus Company. [Image: Courtesy]
KAMPALA, Uganda– The 23-year-old man who died in an explosion on a bus in Mpigi District was a terrorist, President Yoweri Museveni revealed on Tuesday.

“The person who died in the Ishaka – bound bus yesterday, was a terrorist (mutujju) by the names of Muzafala, but also calling himself Isaac Matovu.” The president tweeted.

Ugandan Head of state added that the “terrorist” was “part of the Pader group that had been sent by ADF to blow up the mourners during the funeral of late Maj. Gen Lokech’s funeral. One of them, by the names of Katumba Abdu, was arrested in a Pader Hotel with his bomb-making equipment – he has been brought to court.”

Isaac Matovu, a resident of Kamuli A-Zone in Kireka, Wakiso District died in an explosion on a moving bus full of passengers at Lungala, along the Kampala-Masaka highway.

Matovu was in the company of another suspect called Nsubuga Hamid who fled from Pader to Kampala, where he was killed by the CMI operatives while resisting arrest.

The police and CIM have arrested at least five suspected criminals concerning the bus bombing.

“The killing of Nsubuga, the arrest of Katumba, plus the killing of Lubwama Hussein others that were involved in the attack of Katumba & the arrest of Walusimbi Kamada, and 5 others that were also involved in the attack of Katumba has enabled Police and CMI, to arrest a large number of suspected operatives of ADF. Arresting or killing these suspected criminals, led to the hunt for Muzafala and others who are still on the run in Uganda and outside.”

President Museveni however said the circumstances that led to the detonation are not yet clear, “whether Muzafala blew himself up accidentally while carrying the bomb on his lap or he did so deliberately.”  

The Monday explosion follows another in the capital on Saturday that killed one person and injured three others, which police called an “act of domestic terror” and for which the Islamic State group claimed responsibility.

“Preliminary reports say that the blast was from the seat and it killed only that person and injured the one who was sitting behind,” he said. “The remaining 37 other passengers were safe plus the driver,” Museveni said.