Made up of 157,000 photovoltaic panels, it is one of the first independent-owned utility-scale solar plants in Kenya and the only renewable power plant located in the Coastal area. [Image: courtesy]
Kenya—Globeleq is a leading independent power producer in Africa. It develops, owns, and operates power plants utilizing various technologies across the African continent.

The company is headquartered in London and has operations in South Africa, Tanzania, Kenya, Cote d’Ivoire, and Cameroon. Norfund has a 30% ownership in Globeleq, CDC the remaining 70%.

Globeleq has indicated that its 52MWp Malindi Solar photovoltaic (PV) plant has been exporting 40 MWac of power into the national grid since 14 December 2021.

The company is delivering enough clean and renewable power to supply approximately 250,000 residential customers and will avoid 44,500 tons of CO2-equivalent emissions annually.  Made up of 157,000 photovoltaic panels, it is one of the first IPP-owned utility-scale solar plants in Kenya and the only renewable power plant located in the Coastal area.

“It is exciting to see this plant operating.  Malindi is our tenth operational solar PV plant in Africa and cements our unique position as a leader in large-scale solar generation. Thank you to all involved for making this project a success and supporting plans to achieve net-zero by 2050.” Mike Scholey, Globeleq’s CEO said.

Electricity is being sold through a 20-year agreement with the national distribution company, Kenya Power.  The project also included the construction of a new 220 kV Weru substation which has already been handed over to Kenya Power and is now a part of the national grid infrastructure.

“AEDC is pleased that the Malindi project has reached this all-important milestone and is contributing to Kenya’s supply of renewable and affordable electricity.” Zohrab Mawani, AEDC’s Director said.

 

About Post Author